- This event has passed.
HS1 – Introduction to Hebrew Scriptures: The Old Testament Learning Circle & Continuing Education Opportunity
October 23 - October 26
The resource for this week is Dan Epp-Tiessen, Emeritus Associate Professor of Bible at CMU. Dan’s specialty is Old Testament, and he also appreciates the opportunity to teach courses that span the entire Bible.
This course will introduce students to Israel’s story as told in the Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures). The course will show how this story is foundational for the ministry of Jesus and for understanding how the New Testament writers describe the healing and salvation that God makes available through Jesus. As we explore Israel’s story, we will pay attention to how this story can inform, shape, and inspire the lives of Jesus-followers today. We will also pay attention to how Israel’s story connects with the experiences of Indigenous peoples on Turtle Island, even as it differs significantly from that experience.
The course will be divided into the following sections.
- The story of creation
- The story of human sin and brokenness (the Fall)
- The story of how God begins to address human brokenness by forming a people (Israel)
- The story of liberation from slavery in Egypt
- The problematic story of genocide and ethnic cleaning (conquering the land of Canaan)
- The story of Israel’s life in the land of Canaan
- The story of Israel’s prophets
- The story of Israel’s defeat, exile, and restoration
- The story of Israel’s worship
- The story of Israel’s wisdom
- The story that yearns for God’s future healing and liberation
We welcome guest learners to join our students in this circle.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and to register.