1JustCity hiring Indigenous Cultural Programmer
1JustCity is hiring for an exciting new position, the Indigenous Cultural Programmer, who will work to offer programming that provides opportunities for healing and support to Indigenous people at 4 inner-city outreach sites in Winnipeg. Please see the job description below for more information.
We are seeking a compassionate individual, steeped in their own Indigenous cultural tradition, to offer cultural programming to Indigenous community members at all four of our inner-city outreach sites.
Position Title: Indigenous Cultural Programmer
Position Type: Permanent, 3⁄4 time position (30 hours per week)
Salary: $46,000; pro-rated to $34,500 for 3⁄4 time.
Position Start Date: April 2, 2018
Closing date for applications: March 2, 2018
About Us: 1JustCity is an organization that supports four outreach sites in Winnipeg’s core neighborhoods: West Broadway, the North End, the West End and Osborne Village.
Our services fulfill basic needs such as daily meals, food distribution, haircuts, showers, laundry, toiletries, and clean undergarments. But we also work to fulfill much deeper needs by providing safe communities of love and respect. We work to build a city where people who are alone can have a place to belong and be accepted, where people who are hurting can find support and healing, and where people who are struggling can be given the tools to build a better life.
Each of our four outreach sites serve those living with addictions, those without a place to call home, or those shunned by others based on race, income and sexual orientation. The need for our presence continues to grow, especially in these times of economic stress.
Our communities include many Indigenous people, many of whom experience brokenness and separation from their culture. We have identified a need to hire an Indigenous staff person who can offer a consistent presence at each of our four outreach sites; providing opportunities for healing for Indigenous people who are hurting.
The Position: The Indigenous Cultural Programmer will offer a caring presence at each of our four outreach sites. They will design and facilitate programs to promote healing for Indigenous and non-Indigenous community members; potentially including (but not limited to) sharing circles and trips offsite to participate in Indigenous ceremonial events such as pow-wows and sweat lodges. This person will also be tasked to build compassionate relationships with Indigenous community members; offering support and connecting individuals with other resources as necessary.
Organizational Relationship: Paid by Oak Table Inc. Accountable to 1JustCity Inc.
- Build relationships with Indigenous community members and offer a consistent compassionate presence.
- Design and facilitate Indigenous cultural programming that will promote healing for Indigenous community members.
- Promote the programs and recruit participants.
- Connect Indigenous community members with other programs and resources forhealing.
- Search for opportunities to build relationships with other organizations that are working for Indigenous healing.
- Consult on an ongoing basis with other 1JustCity site staff and Fund Developer asneeded to ensure strong program design and delivery.
- Oversee the implementation of all Indigenous program activities, including directinvolvement in leadership.
- Manage the programs within budget.
- Evaluate the program, reflect on performance and learning and report on a continualbasis.
- Participate in 1JustCity board meetings and staff training events.
- Provide opportunities for healing in cooperation with the churches and otherorganizations that partner with us, as possible.
Qualifications and Abilities Sought:
- Grounding in Indigenous cultural tradition.
- Experience conducting sharing circles.
- Strong knowledge of Indigenous healing resources.
- Understanding of the history and present reality of colonialism in Canada, with anunderstanding of the effects of the trauma that many Indigenous people have experienced because of this.
- Understanding of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, including the 94 Calls toAction; and the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous People.
- Connection with the Indigenous community in Winnipeg.
- Willingness to work in close partnership with Christians, as part of a historically Christianorganization. (Though not required to be a member of any Christian tradition.)
- Willingness to collaborate with people from a diversity of different traditions and faiths.
- Ability to communicate clearly in both written and oral form.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Comfort working with people who have mental health issues.
- Ability to connect with people of all ages.
- Excellent planning and coordination skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to set priorities.
- Ability to work as part of a team, with volunteers and staff, and provide direction.
Please send applications to:
Josh Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put Indigenous Cultural Programmer in the Subject line.
Visit 1justcity.ca or contact Josh Ward for more information.